Let's face it, the Holidays are just plain stressful. It doesn't matter if you are an online seller or if you are shopping for the Holidays. Patience is a virtue that seems to get shorter during the busy season of hustling and bustling to make sure that the Holiday season is perfect for you, your family, and your friends. It's a time of late nights of wrapping, baking, and most likely includes shopping.
Studies show that the percentage of online shoppers is growing which means if you are an eBay or any online seller, you are benefiting from this trend. It also means that you are busy, much busier than you are any other time of the year. As demand rises times decreases. As time decreases it seems that tolerance for stressed buyers decreases as well.
If you find yourself losing patience or getting a little snarky to your customers, your family, or your friends take a minute to breathe! That's right breathe, a full deep breath and slowly release. On the exhale feel the stress, or at least some of it leaving.
If you're at the computer replying to a frazzled or difficult customer, get up and walk away before you respond. It's time for a break. Take a short walk, have a cup of tea, start a load of laundry, or water the plants. Why? Sometimes doing something normal is just what you need to remove the edge and in a few minutes you can return to the task and respond professionally adding a hint of humanity to your response. Remember, we all make mistakes, customers and sellers alike. Life is happening in addition to the Holiday frenzy. There are sick kids, sick parents, accidents, loss of income, soccer, and basketball, and band. Learn that it's okay to say No and actually do it. You do not need to be at everyone's beck and call at the expense of your own sanity.
It's easy to get busy and forget that human element, but it's not wise to do so. Just as you are stressed, so is most everyone around you that you come into contact with in real life and virtually. Just remembering this can ease your stress and help you be the best seller possible.
It is a necessity that you schedule time off to recharge and regroup. Whether it is for the school pageant or just a quiet dinner taking time away is imperative for you and your business.
Here is a short list of some de-stressing activities that may help make the Holiday season a little less stressful:
- Cook a homecooked meal from scratch. Take the entire afternoon to do this if needed.
- Plan and execute a craft project with the kids or with a group of friends.
- Bake Christmas cookies or have a cookie exchange party with a group of friends.
- Take a long leisurely walk and just window shop in a favorite shopping area or mall.
- Take an evening off for dinner and a show or even a movie.
- Head to the park with the kids and the dog for an afternoon of play. It's okay if it's cold, bundle up and have fun.
- Read a book.
- Visit a friend who you haven't seen in ages.
- Spend an afternoon pampering yourself - you deserve it.
- The most important thing is to remember to do what you like! That hour or even a day away is going to make the tasks look so much more inviting and easier to tackle when you are relaxed and stress free.